How does it work?
The Demand Buy Back program encourages customers to voluntarily reduce load and earn compensation. All you have to do is reduce your power consumption during high price peak times.
PGE aggregates your load reduction, along with those of other customers, then shares with you the value of the energy savings based on current market prices. The average price you will earn is likely to be 10 cents/kWh to 35 cents/kWh.
When does the Buy Back event occur?
Demand Buy Back events will typically be initiated during peak load hours when PGE anticipates high electricity costs. Advanced notification of an Demand Buy Back will be from 12 hours to three days before an event.
- Voluntary participation. During a Demand Buy Back event, you choose when to reduce load.
- Easy interactive Web page communication.
- Load reduction is calculated based on historic electricity usage.
- Verification and validation of actual performance.
- Easy-to-understand settlement method.
How often does a Buy Back event occur?
The uncertainty of today’s energy market has prompted exchange events. Most voluntary events will last between one to 24 hours. You will be given a secure Internet home page where estimated hourly electric savings are indicated. When an event is scheduled, you will have the opportunity to commit to load reduction for those hours that make sense for your business.
How am I compensated for participation?
After the Demand Buy Back event has occurred, verification of load reduction will be computed using actual interval data from actual hourly metered loads. You will receive a check within 60 days of a Demand Buy Back event.
How you can get involved
- Complete the Demand Buy Back Customer Agreement (PDF) and mail to:
Demand Buy Back
121 SW Salmon, 3WTCBR04
Portland, OR 97204
- Read PGE’s Demand Buy Back Tariff (PDF) for additional details.
- Silicon Energy EEM-Suite is a site where customers auction their willingness to reduce and/or eliminate their need for power in exchange for compensation. To obtain access, contact your PGE representative.
To learn more about Demand Buy Back, call your PGE representative or email us.