Energy Performance Reporting FAQ

Get answers to questions about the City of Portland’s energy performance reporting requirements.

Q. How do I know if I have an obligation to comply with the City’s reporting ordinance?

  • Commercial buildings larger than 50,000 square feet must annually comply with the City’s ordinance starting April 22, 2016 (for 2015 data).
  • Commercial buildings larger than 20,000 square feet – but smaller than 50,000 square feet – must annually comply with the City’s ordinance by April 22, 2017 (for 2016 data).
  • Commercial buildings smaller than 20,000 square feet and non-commercial buildings are not required to comply.

To confirm if your building is included or excluded from the City’s ordinance, refer to the City of Portland’s Energy Performance Reporting page or contact the City of Portland.

Q. How do I request my energy consumption data?

See the PGE Energy Performance page to submit your data request form and (if applicable) signed tenant release forms:

  1. PGE Data Request Form: Complete either the online form, or if you have multiple buildings or more than ten meters per building the spreadsheet PGE supplied you. Either form will need to include the Building ID number provided by the City of Portland and your meter numbers. You can lookup Building ID numbers on the City of Portland portal.
  2. Tenant Release Form: Submitted by building owners with four or fewer individually metered tenants.

How can I obtain my meter numbers

Meter numbers can be found on your monthly PGE bill or on the front panel of the meter, immediately below the digital display. Refer to the PGE Energy Reporting page for more details.

Q. How do I obtain my Building ID number?

You can look up the information on the City Building ID portal.

Q. How do I get electricity consumption data for my tenants?

Be sure to include all tenant meter numbers in your data request.

If you have four or fewer individually metered tenants, include signed PGE Tenant Release Forms for each tenant.

Q. What format will the consumption data be provided in?

Electricity consumption data will be provided in kilowatt hours (kWh) and aggregated for the whole building in a format compatible for uploads directly into ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager.

Q. Why does PGE send aggregate building data rather than meter specific data?

Aggregate usage data is required for the entire building to give it an ENERGY STAR rating and to comply with the City of Portland’s ordinance.

Additionally, due to privacy laws, building owners do not have the right to automatically receive specific meter data for an account that belongs to a tenant.

Q. Can I receive electricity consumption data after April 2016?

Yes. Email the PGE energy reporting administrator with a request including the Building ID you require the data for. If your building has four or fewer individually metered tenants you will also need to submit the tenant release forms.

Q. Where do I go if I have other questions?

For questions on your electricity consumption data, email the PGE energy reporting administrator or call 800-822-1077.

For all other questions, contact the City of Portland or call the City’s Energy Performance Help Desk at 503-823-7070.