PGE’s Equity Statement
For more than 130 years, Portland General Electric has been powering our community, and we will continue bringing innovative solutions to ensure a bright energy future for Oregonians.
We know, however, that disparities exist in delivering electric service that are shaped by regulatory policy, legislative policy and institutional procedures. We cannot ignore the historical barriers and biases affecting low-income households, communities of color, people with disabilities and other historically underserved communities. Nor can we ignore the societal inequities that make it harder for these groups to access renewable energy programs, technologies and jobs.
Addressing disparities is now part of our job at PGE, and our commitment to supporting the success of communities we serve runs deep. That’s why we invite the voices of people and communities that experience these disadvantages to help shape PGE’s clean energy future.
For our part, we’re committed to equity in all aspects of our operations, including customers, employees, the communities we serve and the people with which we do business.
Understanding this, we actively pledge to:
- Apply an equity lens to all aspects of our business, collaborate with our communities and prioritize their voices to inform our decisions.
- Partner with others to break through economic, cultural and language barriers. We want to ensure all customers — regardless of income, background, ethnicity or physical location — can benefit from the evolving way energy is generated and delivered while keeping rates low.
- Enforce equitable policies for hiring, promoting, developing and compensating employees. We commit to being a green employer of choice, to building an employee and leadership base that mirrors the communities we serve and to cultivating a workplace culture that embraces equity.
- Develop ways to measure, track and share our progress on these commitments to ensure accountability.
- Revisit and update these commitments annually as part of our ongoing journey to an equitable energy future.
Building a more inclusive PGE
Nationally recognized as Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality
For the sixth year in a row, we achieved a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index, a national benchmarking survey and report on corporate policies and practices related to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) workplace equality.
This accomplishment highlights our company Value to embrace diversity, equity and inclusion. We recognize that a wide range of talents, viewpoints and ideas are important to our success, and we strongly believe in championing a safe environment and culture for our entire workforce.
Empowering our Workforce
Through the following initiatives, PGE employees are empowered to take the lead on diversity, equity and inclusion at work and in our communities.
Advocates & Champions for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Advocates & Champions embrace the inherent value of every person and pledge: “I will look outside my comfort zone to learn more about other’s perspectives, lean into and/or initiate difficult conversations as they relate to issues of equity and educate myself on my own biases and take meaningful action to understand and mitigate them.”
Business Resource Groups
These groups mentor and support members’ professional goals. They host events that promote cultural awareness and employee development. All employees are welcome to participate. Current groups include:
- Advocates & Champions for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- African American BRG
- Asian Pacific Island Cultures BRG
- ABLE Disabilities BRG
- LGBT+ BRG
- Latin American BRG
- Native American BRG
- Military Veterans BRG
- Women’s BRG