Start or upgrade your service, and learn about project requirements
We are here to partner with builders and contractors to get projects powered quickly and efficiently. Here's how the process works.
Electrical service requirements
When working with us to set up service at a new location or to upgrade an existing service, note:
- All trenches and conduits must be inspected by us before backfilling.
- All conduits must have a non-conductive pull line, minimum 500-pound rated, with 6 feet extending from each end, installed before our inspection.
For complete information, see our Electric Service Requirements.
How it works: The steps for requesting new or upgraded electrical service
1. Submit request for service form.
Once you have determined which type of service you need, submit your request online and a service and design project manager will review it and get back to you.
The form should include: connected load in kilowatts (kW), load schedule, site plans, landscaping plans, and other critical details so the service and design project manager can complete their review.
Note that the project can’t begin until we receive all your documentation.
2. Obtain any necessary permits.
You will need to get building and electrical permits from the city or county, as well as easements and tree-trimming permits if required.
3. One of our service and design project managers (SDPMs) will contact you shortly after we receive your request.
The project can’t begin until we receive complete documentation. Your SDPM will outline what’s needed based on your specific project.
Once we have all your documents, we will design service for your site, which may take up to 60 days depending on the specifics of the project.
4. Arrange a pre-construction meeting.
Once you have worked with your project manager to design service, contact us to arrange a pre-construction meeting between the excavation contractor and us at the site.
5. Complete trench, vault and conduit work.
Call 811 or visit Call Before You Dig to locate existing underground utilities before digging. This service is free.
Right-of-way excavation must be performed by a PGE approved contractor. Your SDPM can supply you with information about approved contractors in your area.
6. We inspect all services, trenches and conduits, and then complete construction of electrical service and install the meter.
After all construction work is completed and we inspect and approve the design and work, we will schedule the connection of service within 5 to 10 business days.
Get started: Construction service request forms
If you already know the kind of service you’d like to request, select and fill out the appropriate form from this list.
Note that some forms require the uploading of a detailed site map or diagram, so be sure you have it ready to ensure a successful submission.