Share these outdoor safety guidelines with your team
That’s a great question. Thanks for asking.
Q: How can I keep my employees safe and manage risk on job sites?
A: Whether you’re digging, building or performing maintenance outdoors, here’s how to avoid dangerous, costly accidents with overhead and underground power lines:
- Call 811 before you dig to have underground utilities marked.
- Assume all power lines are energized and dangerous.
- Survey your job site daily so you are sure of the location of all utility lines and equipment.
- Look up! Keep everything — yourself, materials, ladders — at least 10 feet away from overhead power lines. With cranes, keep the crane boom and load at least 20 feet away.
- When you’re operating or moving equipment, use a spotter: a co-worker should always stand watch to help you stay clear of lines.
- If you contact a power line when operating heavy equipment, stay in the driver’s seat and warn others to stay back. Move the equipment away from the line if you can do so safely. Call 911 and PGE to report the emergency.