A: Whether you’re digging, building or performing maintenance outdoors, here’s how to avoid close encounters of the dangerous kind:
- Call 811 before you dig to have underground utilities marked.
- Survey your job site daily so you are sure of the location of all utility lines and equipment.
- Look up! Keep everything — yourself, materials, ladders — at least 10 feet away from overhead power lines. With cranes, keep the crane boom and load at least 20 feet away.
- Assume all power lines are energized and dangerous.
- When you’re operating or moving equipment, use a spotter: a co-worker should always stand watch to help you stay clear of lines.
- If you contact a power line when operating heavy equipment, stay in the driver’s seat and warn others to stay back. Move the equipment away from the line if you can do so safely. Call 911 and PGE to report the emergency.
Find more ways to keep your employees safe.