5 super-simple savers to try now
Resolve to keep more money in your pocket in 2018.
These cold, dark winter months can drive up your electricity use. But we have plenty of energy-saving ideas to help power your day affordably. Here are five of our top ways to save this season:
- Seal air leaks with caulk, expanding spray foam and weatherstripping. It only takes one afternoon and you’re done!
- Turn down the thermostat—each degree you lower it saves about 2 percent on heating costs. Try 68 degrees as your standard setting, 60 when sleeping or gone.*
- Lower your water heater temperature to 120 degrees.
- Cover foundation vents to keep cold air out (remove covers in spring).
- Switch to super-saving LED light bulbs.
Want more ways to save money and energy? Check our winter energy-saving tips.
*Exceptions: radiant heat, maximum setback 2-3 degrees. Heat pump systems vary; see your owners’ manual for setback recommendations.