As we work toward Oregon’s clean energy future, we’re strengthening the energy grid to make it smarter, more efficient and more reliable for you. Among our many projects, we’re planning to expand and upgrade our Centennial Substation, located at 2334 SE 174th Ave., in Portland. The upgrade will increase system reliability, help prevent outages and meet the demands of growth in the surrounding area.
In addition to installing new equipment at the substation, we’re proposing to add additional fencing on the property to accommodate the equipment, and make the property safer and more secure. The new landscaping will follow City of Portland guidelines and enhance the appearance and safety of the area.
We’re working with the City of Portland to obtain the necessary regulatory review and approvals for this project. We hope to begin construction in 2020.
On Sept. 4, 2019, we held a public hearing to get community input on this project.
On Oct. 25, 2019, we performed a public site walk to explain the plan for the project.
We will continue to work with the city and other regulatory organizations to complete the necessary processes and permitting before the project begins.
See how the substation landscaping will grow
View simulations of what the new landscaping will look like immediately following our construction and as it matures.
Proposed conditions - 10 years
We’re taking steps to ensure your safety. Here’s how you can help
- Watch for temporary lane or street closures and detours. Allow for extra time for commuting through these areas.
- Follow directions from any flaggers, detours and signs used to keep drivers, cyclists, pedestrians and workers safe.
- Watch for “no parking” signs. To keep pedestrians and vehicles safe, we will reserve street parking to make room for equipment and create a safety buffer around our work area.
- Please avoid all work areas and equipment, and make sure children know to never touch the equipment.
Building a brighter energy future for you
This is just one of many projects we’re working on to enhance and modernize the energy grid, making it smarter and more resilient, and creating a platform for a clean energy future.
Thank you for your patience as we strengthen the energy grid.
For more information about this project, please contact us at 503-612-3730.
Para información en español, por favor llame 503-612-3730.
Frequently Asked Questions
What changes is PGE making to the Centennial Substation?
This is a complete upgrade of the existing substation. We’ll be working in stages so your power will not be interrupted. The proposed work will include:
- Removing the existing landscaping and equipment.
- Installing new, more resilient, more secure smart grid technology that can handle a larger load.
- Installing a second fence around the substation to increase security.
- Installing sensor lights for improved security.
- Installing new landscaping that will enhance the area and meet Portland’s tree guidelines.
What effect will there be on traffic?
We want to ensure your safety during this construction project, so temporary lane closures may be needed at times. Please follow any detours and signs placed to keep drivers, cyclists, pedestrians and workers safe. Allow extra time for commuting through this area or consider alternate routes.
What’s happening to the trees and other landscaping around the substation?
We will need to remove some trees and other landscaping in order to install the new equipment and expand the fence line. When construction is complete, we’ll plant new landscaping that will enhance the area and meet city tree standards. See simulation.