As we work toward Oregon’s clean energy future, we’re strengthening the energy grid to make it smarter, more efficient and more reliable for you. Among our many projects, we’ll soon add new fiber communication lines between our jointly-managed substations in the Jefferson County area. When completed, our smart grid technology upgrades will enhance the Pacific Northwest power operations, adding more reliability and security to the electric grid.
Communications upgrades work schedule:
- December 2019 to spring 2020
- Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.*
*This schedule may change based on the needs of the project. While not anticipated, weekend and night work may be required at times.
What can you expect during this project?
In preparation for the new communication lines, our contractor and PGE crews may be driving or walking within the power line rights of way to inspect our existing equipment and collect valuable information that will inform the design and schedule of the communication line upgrades. We may also need to trim and remove some trees along the power line rights of way.
Construction details for the new communication lines will be shared with customers in spring 2020.
We’re taking steps to ensure your safety. Here’s how you can help:
- Watch for temporary lane closures and no-parking signs, as these lanes may be needed for safety. Please use extra caution while traveling through the work zone and allow extra time for commuting through the area shown on the map.
- Follow directions from any flaggers, detours and signs placed to keep drivers, pedestrians and workers safe.
- Please avoid all work areas and equipment, and make sure children know to never touch the equipment.
Building a brighter energy future for you
When completed, the new lines will improve regional system operations for customers and the region. This is just one of many projects we’re working on to modernize the energy grid, making it smarter and more resilient, and creating a platform for a clean energy future.
If you have any questions about our work, please call us at 503-612-3730.