As we work toward Oregon’s clean energy future, we’re strengthening the energy grid to make it smarter, more efficient and more reliable for you. Part of strengthening the grid involves improving the safety and security of our substations. That's why we'll be trimming and removing trees and making some other upgrades at our Raleigh Hills substation.
- 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Mid-November to late November
- 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Early December through January 2020
This schedule may change based on the needs of the project. While not anticipated, weekend and night hours may be required at times.
What can you expect during this work?
You’ll see crews from our contractor, Northwest Tree Expert, working on our property, outside of the substation fence. They will be trimming branches and removing some trees to help improve safety, reduce fire risk and prevent outages. Recent rule changes from the Oregon Public Utility Commission instruct us to create a wider safety zone around substations by removing large trees that have the potential of falling into the substation.
After the tree work is completed, we’ll make improvements to the fencing and add new ground cover rock within the substation fence line to meet our updated operational and safety standards.
Following the substation-improvement work, we’ll plant new landscaping that will enhance the area and meet City of Portland street tree standards.
We’re taking steps to ensure your safety. Here’s how you can help:
- Watch for temporary lane closures and detours. Allow for extra time for commuting through these areas.
- Watch for temporary no-parking signs. At times, we’ll need to reserve space for truck deliveries, equipment parking, and to keep you and your vehicle save.
- Follow directions from any flaggers, detours and signs used to keep drivers, cyclists, pedestrians and workers safe.
- Please avoid all work areas and equipment, and make sure children know to never touch the equipment.
If you have a question about how this project may affect you, contact us at 503-612-3730.
Building a brighter energy future for you
These upgrades will boost reliability to reduce the risk of outages and help improve overall system operations for all customers. This is just one of many projects we’re working on to enhance and modernize the energy grid, making it smarter and more resilient, and creating a platform for a clean energy future.