As we work toward Oregon’s clean energy future, we’re strengthening the energy grid to make it smarter, more efficient and more reliable for you. Among our many projects, we’ll soon add new communication lines in the Gaston area. When completed, these upgrades will enhance PGE operations and increase the safety of substations prior to the upcoming storm season.
In preparation for the new communication lines, we first need to trim and remove some trees along the power line rights of way.
Tree trimming work schedule:
- Early October to early November
- Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.*
Communications upgrades work schedule:
- October through early December
- Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.*
*This schedule may change based on the needs of the project. While not anticipated, weekend and night work may be required at times.
What can you expect during this project?
You’ll see tree trimming crews from our contractor, Asplundh, working in the areas highlighted on the project map. To keep you and our crews safe, our forestry contractor will trim branches and remove dead or diseased trees that pose a risk to power lines in the rights of way.
After the tree maintenance work is complete, you’ll see our contractor, North Sky Communications, install new communication lines within existing underground facilities and string overhead lines on existing poles to improve reliability and increase operational resiliency.
We’re taking steps to ensure your safety. Here’s how you can help:
- Watch for temporary lane closures and no-parking signs, as these lanes may be needed for safety. Please use extra caution while traveling through the work zone and allow extra time for commuting through the area shown on the map.
- Follow directions from any flaggers, detours and signs placed to keep drivers, pedestrians and workers safe.
- Please avoid all work areas and equipment, and make sure children know to never touch the equipment.
Building a brighter energy future for you
When completed, the new communication lines will improve overall system operations for all customers. This is just one of many projects we’re working on to modernize the energy grid, making it smarter and more resilient, and creating a platform for a clean energy future.
If you have any questions about our work, please call us at 503-612-3730.