As we work toward Oregon’s clean energy future, we’re strengthening the energy grid to make it smarter, more efficient and more reliable for you. Among our many projects, we’re building a new substation and upgrading our poles and power lines along roads in the West Union area.
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Late summer 2019 through spring 2020
This schedule may change based on the needs of the project. While not anticipated, weekend and night work may be required at times.
What can you expect during this work?
- Currently, we are building the new Rock Creek substation located at the corner of Northwest Germantown Road and Northwest Emmaus Lane. We anticipate completing the new substation in early 2020.
- Our tree crews from Asplundh Tree Expert are completing work trimming and removing some trees in the power line rights of way that pose a risk to the new power lines.
- To install wooden poles, we’ll cut into the shoulder lanes and sidewalks. Once the installations are complete, we’ll repair the sidewalks and roads.
- In some areas we’re installing cement foundations for larger metal poles to support transmission lines.
- Laying the cement foundations will involve multiple steps, including digging with heavy equipment and pouring concrete.
- Multiple crews may be working in different work areas at the same time.
- At times, we may need to park some equipment on the street overnight.
Important traffic and safety tips
We’re taking steps to ensure your safety as we trim trees and install new equipment. Here’s how you can help:
- Watch for temporary one-lane and full-street closures that may be needed. Allow extra time for commuting through these areas.
- Follow any detours and signs placed to keep drivers, cyclists, pedestrians and workers safe.
- Please avoid all work areas and equipment, and make sure children know to never touch the equipment.
Building a brighter energy future for you
These system upgrades will boost reliability to reduce the risk of outages, keep pace with growth in our area and help improve overall system operations for all customers.
This is just one of many projects we’re working on to enhance and modernize the energy grid, making it smarter and more resilient, and creating a platform for a clean energy future.
Thank you for your patience as we strengthen the energy grid.
If you have a question about how this work may affect you, please contact us at 503-612-3730.