Report an outage: 3 ways
- Report online
- By text when you enroll your mobile phone for two-way texting.
- By phone:
- 503-464-7777 (Portland)
- 503-399-7717 (Salem)
- 800-544-1795 elsewhere
When you report an outage you can also request an update.
- Turn off all electrical equipment. This helps prevent possible power-surge damage and avoids overloading the system when power is restored. Major appliances can be turned off at the breaker box.
- Home: electric water heater, furnace, stove, washer/dryer, stereo, TV, computers, etc.
- Business: computer equipment, any machinery with motors, etc.
- If you have a backup generator, please review our tips for using generators safely – your well-being, and the lives of our crews, depend on it.
- Turn on one outside light and one inside light so you and PGE crews will know when service is restored.
- If your neighbor’s power comes back on but yours does not, call PGE again.
- If your lights are very dim or bright once power is restored, turn off the power at the breaker or fuse box to help protect your equipment, and call PGE.
Remember: If you see a downed or sagging line, stay away!
Call PGE immediately at 503-464-7777 in Portland, or 800-544-1795 to report any downed utility line, and always remember the storm safety tips in the slideshow below.
3 more things to keep in mind
- Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning! Never use grills, portable generators or other gasoline-, propane- or charcoal-burning devices inside your home, garage or carport. And if you use your car to recharge your phone, don’t keep the car running in the garage. See more Storm Safety Tips below.
- Know how to operate the manual release lever on your automatic garage door.
- Check on elderly or impaired neighbors or relatives, if possible, to see if they need help.