Portland General Electric Co. believes the confidentiality of customer information is extremely important.
We value our customer relationships and recognize that when you provide personal information, you trust us to protect your privacy. For that reason, we have adopted this policy governing the use of information gathered on our website.
What personal information do we collect?
As a visitor to this website, your identity will remain anonymous unless you register for online account services, enter a sweepstakes or enroll in a program. In such cases you will be notified that personal information, such as your name, address, phone number and email address, is required. We may use this information, along with third party sources, to provide information based on your preferences. We may tie personally identifiable information to your profile to improve the website content available to you and to provide email messages suited to your needs and interests. See “email communications to customers” below for opt-out instructions.
If you are starting a new electric service account, we will ask for additional personal information for credit verification and security purposes only. This information will be used to provide a requested service, to facilitate purchases and to provide you with email communications. See “email communications to customers” below for opt-out instructions.
If you choose to use our service to share pages on our site with a friend, we will ask you to provide your friend’s email address. We will automatically send a one-time email to your friend with the requested information. PGE does not store this information.
PGE will not sell or rent the information collected at this site to any party or share it in ways different from those disclosed in this statement.
Back to top
How can you update the online services information you have provided?
You can make changes to your online account information including profile by visiting the Update Your Information section of the site.
If you no longer wish to access your account online, you can cancel your online membership by following the instructions located under Cancel Your Online Services.
Back to top
Online account emails: We send registered customers emails related to their PGE electric service and their online account. These may include welcome messages, online transaction confirmations, customer service notices and messages required by the Oregon Public Utility Commission. Generally, customers may not opt-out of these communications. If you do not wish to receive them, you have the option to deactivate your account.
Other email communications: By establishing service online or by registering for a PGE online account, you agree to receive the following types of email communications: newsletters and occasional emails related to your PGE service, including information on energy efficiency, safety and outages, surveys and promotions. You may opt out of specific types of email communications at any time using the Manage Subscriptions and Unsubscribe links provided at the bottom of each email message.
Participants in PGE programs may receive occasional email communications about them. You may opt out of these communications at any time by unsubscribing from all email communications using the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of each email.
Back to top
- Indicate whether you are signed in as a registered user of the website.
- Enhance your privacy and security while doing business with PGE. If you step away from your computer or don’t sign out, you will be signed out automatically after 10 idle minutes.
- Ensure your website experience will not be disrupted if a load-balancing server is down or busy.
- Activate the “Remember me” feature. If you check this box when logging into your account, it stores your email address on your computer so the information is provided automatically when you log in.
A survey vendor uses these cookies to conduct visitor surveys:
- A session-level cookie placed on survey respondents’ browsers tracks how many pages a particular visitor has passed over. Session-level cookies are automatically deleted at the end of a session. This technique ensures that a visitor has sufficiently browsed the site in order to adequately answer the survey and prevents anyone from getting a survey more than once in a single session.
- A persistent cookie tracks whether a particular respondent has seen the PGE website survey, so that person won't be bothered with it again. No personal information is tracked with this persistent cookie, nor are visitors tracked once they have left the PGE website.
Back to top
- The session cookie determines the last visit date, which changes the content on the “What’s New” page.
- The identity cookie represents a user who has entered personal information and has clicked the “remember me” option. The cookie contains the user’s first name, last name and investor type. This cookie improves server performance by minimizing database look ups for pages that display “Welcome John Smith.” These cookies are tied to personally identifiable information.
- The recipient cookie is a “logged in” cookie and allows the user to change their contact information and email alerts. The only way to create this cookie is to click on an email confirmation link that is sent to verify the authenticity of the person requesting email alerts.
- The briefcase cookie allows the user to add documents to his or her briefcase for later downloading.
- The opt-out cookie allows users to opt out of using cookies to store information.
Release of information
PGE has agreements with other local utility companies to share customer information for credit purposes only. We have established security procedures to ensure that information is being shared only with authorized utility representatives.
Occasionally, we may hire third parties to act on our behalf for activities such as market research surveys, billing, technical support, contest entry processing and to provide energy management services. These parties will not be permitted to use personally identifiable information except for the purpose of providing their specific services, and they are not permitted to disclose, transfer or sell personally identifiable information.
At the direction of the Oregon Public Utility Commission, PGE shares selected customer information with Energy Trust of Oregon. This information is used for designing, evaluating and improving Energy Trust services for energy efficiency and renewable energy systems and for marketing purposes. Energy Trust is obligated under OPUC regulations to protect PGE customer information, including name, address and energy-use history, and keep it confidential. Learn more at PortlandGeneral.com/DataShare.
Other than the ways mentioned above, we will not release personally identifiable information to third parties without permission from the customer, unless we are required to do so by law or we in good faith believe such action is necessary to (1) comply with the law or legal process, (2) protect and defend our rights or property, (3) protect against misuse or unauthorized use of our Web site or (4) protect the personal safety or property of our customers or the public.
Back to top
We understand that online security is very important to our customers. Our website uses a variety of protection products including, but not limited to firewalls, digital certificates, authentication procedures, intrusion detection and Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology.
As an added security measure, we encourage you to sign out of the interactive portion of our website when you have finished your session. You will automatically be logged off an interactive session after 10 minutes of inactivity.
Back to top
Back to top
We welcome your questions and comments on this policy. Email Customer Service or call 800-542-8818. The address for PGE headquarters is 121 SW Salmon St., Portland, OR 97204.
Notification of changes
Back to top