When you enroll in Clean Wind or Green Source, you purchase renewable energy certificates (RECs). A REC is created when a megawatt-hour of renewable energy is produced and delivered to the grid. RECs increase demand for, and drive development of, more renewable energy sources. Find out more in our Renewables FAQ.
All RECs purchased on behalf of Clean Wind and Green Source customers are verified and certified by Green-e Energy national standards, the nation’s leading independent consumer protection program for the retail sale of renewable energy.
What Does Green-e Energy Certification Guarantee?
When you see the Green-e Energy logo associated with an energy product it means:
- 100 percent of the supply for the product comes from renewable resources.
- The product contains only new renewable resources (online since 1997 or later).
- The sources of energy supplying the product are independently verified by Green-e Energy, operated by the non-profit Center for Resource Solutions.
- The renewable certificates are not sold more than once or claimed by more than one party.
- The participant company offering the product agrees to abide by the Green-e Energy Code of Conduct and Customer Disclosure Requirements governing its ethical treatment of customers.
For more information on Green-E, visit green-e.org.