Typical savings from a heat pump
If you have electric heat, you could save up to 40 percent* to heat your home, while adding air conditioning and other benefits.
Special offers and incentives can help reduce your out-of-pocket costs.
Other heat pump advantages
- Constant, even temperatures
- Summer cooling that’s more efficient than typical air conditioning
- Easier on the environment
- Better indoor air quality, since heat pumps circulate indoor air longer and filter it more often than other systems.
- Reliable performance for 15 or more years
- Quiet operation
*Compared to a standard electric furnace replaced with a ductless heat pump system. Savings on a ducted system is up to 40 percent. Individual circumstances will vary. Ask the PGE Energy Experts, or your dealer, for more information.
Understanding Heat Pump Efficiency Ratings
Heat pump efficiency is rated in several ways. The higher the numbers, the more efficient the heat pump. Here’s what you need to know about ratings:
- HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor) is a rating for seasonal heating efficiency.
- SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) is a rating for seasonal cooling efficiency.
- EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio) is a rating for instantaneous cooling efficiency. This also is how window air conditioners are rated, making easier comparisons.
- New heat pumps typically range from 7.7 to 10 HSPF and from 13 to 18 SEER.
Efficiency ratings are important if you want to qualify for discounts, tax credits or cash incentives.
- To qualify for a $200 instant discount from a PGE-approved contractor, your heat pump must be a minimum ARI certified 7.7 HSPF and 13 SEER. Heat pump system must meet PGE installation specifications.
- To qualify for an Energy Trust of Oregon ducted cash incentive, your heat pump must be a minimum of 9.0 HSPF and meet other criteria. There is no minimum HSPF for ductless.
- To qualify for an Oregon energy tax credit, your heat pump must be a minimum 9.0 HSPF and 12 EER.
- To qualify for a federal energy tax credit, your heat pump must be a minimum 8.5 HSPF, 12.5 EER and 15 SEER.