High Bill Help
We’re here to help you
Winter’s cold weather and more time indoors can lead to higher bills. We know it can be a challenge, and we want to help.
Contact us first — we’ll work together
Need more time to pay?
As soon as you think you might need help, contact us online or by phone. If you have received a disconnect notice, please call us.
- Online: Log in to sign up for payment plans to help you manage future bills or payment arrangements to help you right now.
- By phone: Call PGE Customer Service at 503-228-6322 or 800-542-8818 to discuss your options.
Connect with bill-payment assistance programsThree local programs offer bill-payment assistance to qualified customers who meet income requirements.
Get tips to save energy in winter
Heat and hot water
Heating high-bill triggers
- More heater or space heater use
- Heat works harder to keep same temperature
- Home needs insulation/weatherization
- Heating ducts aren’t sealed or insulated
- Thermostat set high or not accurate
- Heating unused rooms (zonal heat)
- Fireplace dampers/doors left open
- Foundation vents uncovered, allowing cold air in, warm air out
Try these tips
- Insulate and seal air leaks. This alone can make a huge difference!
- Set thermostat to 68 degrees when you’re home, 60 when asleep or gone (there are exceptions for some systems; see heating tips for more). Each degree lower saves an estimated 2 percent on your heating bill.
- Check thermostat accuracy. Use an instant-read cooking thermometer to see if the air temperature matches your setting. You might want to upgrade to a smart thermostat.
- Schedule a tune-up for your furnace each year.
- Close fireplace dampers and doors when not in use.
- Install foundation vent covers in fall to keep wind and cold from creeping in under your house. Vent covers can also help prevent frozen pipes. Remove them in spring.
- Open curtains on sunny days. You’ll capture solar warmth and save on lighting, too. Close curtains at night to help insulate.
Water heating triggers
- Old or inefficient electric water heater
- Water heater set too high
- Holiday guests: More water heating, laundry and dish washing
Try this tip
Lighting, appliances and electronics
Lighting, appliances & electronics triggers
- Lights on longer during darker days
- Inefficient holiday lights or leaving lights on all night
- New appliances or big screen TV
- Hot tub pump problems, or insulating cover left off