Contact Us
Search PGE  
Weatherization Assistance
Weatherization Assistance
Weatherizing your home can be difficult on a tight budget. Help may be available.
Weatherization Assistance

How the program works
If you meet the income guidelines in the chart below, you may be eligible for free weatherization assistance. Often, there is a significant waiting list for this program, so you should apply as soon as possible. If your furnace or heat source is not working, you may be eligible for faster assistance.

If you qualify for the program, an energy audit will be performed to determine which weatherization measures are appropriate for your home. These could include:
  • Ceiling, wall and floor insulation
  • Furnace repair or replacement
  • Sealing air leaks
  • Energy-related minor repairs
  • Heating duct improvements
  • Energy conservation education
  • Refrigerator replacement

The agency you contact will provide an employee or contractor to perform the audit and weatherization work. It’s a good idea to ask the agency for the name of the employee or contractor so you can confirm their identity when they arrive at your home.

Renters may also receive assistance, but the landlord must agree to have the work done.

Income guidelines
Here are the income guidelines for weatherization assistance (eff. Oct. 1, 2015):

Size of family unit Gross annual income Gross monthly income
1 $21,933 $1,827.75
2 $28,681 $2,390.08
3 $35,429 $2,952.42
4 $42,177 $3,514.75
5 $48,926 $4,077.17
6 $55,674 $4,639.50
7 $56,939 $4,744.92
8 $58.205 $4,850.42
9 $59,470 $4,955.83
10 $60,735 $5,061.25
11 $62,001 $5,166.75
12 $63,266 $5,272.17
Each additional member   $1,265    $105.44

How to apply for assistance
To apply, call the Community Action agency listed below for the county where you live:

County Organization Phone Number
Clackamas Clackamas County Weatherization 503-650-3338
Marion/Polk Mid-Willamette Valley Community Action Agency 503-315-7055, x9
Multnomah Department of County Human Services 503-988-7423
Washington Washington County Community Action Org. 503-906-6550
Yamhill Community Action Partnership 503-472-0457, x1483

How is this program funded?
Funding comes from several sources, including federal programs and a portion of the 3 percent Public Purpose Charge that all PGE customers pay on their electric bills.

Special programs for City of Portland residents
In addition to the program offered by Multnomah County, Community Energy Project offers do-it-yourself weatherization workshops for residents of the City of Portland who meet income guidelines. CEP also offers in-home weatherization for low-income senior and/or disabled residents who are unable to make improvements themselves. For more information, call Community Energy Project at 503-284-6827 or visit the Community Energy Project website.

Learn what you can do on your own
Look at our:

WWW Version: 5.0.0 Server: JWTCVP******1